Week 16/17 2020 | Aarhus, DK

[English] Time Flies

Up front: this is the first time I am going on record here in lamenting how quickly the time of my PhD project seems to be passing me by and it definitely won’t be the last.

During week 16, I devoted most of my time to finding and consuming relevant scientific literature for my PhD project. In addition, I revisited some analyses of my M.Sc. project which I aim to incorporate into my vegetation memory research which is inching ever so close to a final draft ready for submission!

Week 17 went well, too. I continued my literature search, pseudo-coded scripts for my first PhD work package, obtained some data to test some coding for the same, and ironed out some issues with my vegetation memory comparisons from week 16. Whatsmore, I read some fantastic publications which gave me new ideas of how to address my second PhD work package. Lastly, week 17 also marked the date when 10% of my PhD project time had passed me by. As someone who loves (and is used to) being ahead of his own schedule, this did induce quite a bit of anxiety. Please bear with my jittery nerves as I list all the things I have done so far in an attempt to calm myself down:

  • Vegetation memory
    • I extended my M.Sc. vegetation memory analyses from select dryland regions to global drylands.
    • I changed the model algorithm of my vegetation memory models to allow for more variability in vegetation memory length selection.
    • I produced a first draft of my vegetation memory paper which is now in the third round of comments from my co-authors.
  • WP 1 – Occurrences
    • I did an extensive literature review identifying core data requirements and methods for inferring species-dependence from occurrence data.
  • WP 2 – Prerequisites
    • I coded my KrigR R-Package into alpha stage and it is currently being tested for bugs by some colleagues.
    • Through a literature review, I have identified a range of five different methods for identifying species vulnerability to climate change.
  • Teaching
    • I prepared and gave a range of talks about biostatistics in the scope of a seminar series for students and group members of the Ecoinformatics group at Aarhus University.
    • I prepared exercises and guidelines for a B.Sc. student research project.
    • I am 18.5 hours of additional teaching (aside from a course I will help teach in autumn) away from fulfilling my teaching quota for this year!
  • Dissemination
    • Well, I created this website and am keeping it updated.
    • Unfortunately, the conferences I was supposed to attend were cancelled.

[German] Die Zeit Rast

Vorab: Dies ist das erste Mal, dass ich hier beklage, wie schnell die Zeit meines Promotionsprojekts an mir vorbeizieht und es wird definitiv nicht das letzte Mal sein.

Während Woche 16 verbrachte ich die meiste Zeit damit, relevante wissenschaftliche Literatur für mein Promotionsprojekt zu finden und zu verschlingen. Außerdem habe ich einige Analysen meines M.Sc. Projekts zur Vegetationsgedächtnisforschung aufgefrischt und plane nun diese in meiner Publikation zum selben Thema einzubringen. Der Entwurf zu dieser Veröffentlichung nimmt mehr und mehr Gestalt an.

Woche 17 verlief ebenfalls gut. Ich setzte meine Literaturrecherche fort, pseudo-codierte Skripte für mein erstes Doktoranden -Arbeitspaket, lud einige Datensätze runter, um die Codierungen für dasselbe zu testen, und bügelte Probleme mit meinen Vegetationsgedächtnisvergleichen von Woche 16 aus. Des Weiteren las ich einige fantastische Veröffentlichungen, die mir neue Ideen für mein zweites Doktoranden-Arbeitspaket gaben. Letztendlich war Woche 17 auch das Datum, an dem 10% meiner Promotionszeit rum waren. Als jemand, der es liebt (und gewohnt ist), seinem eigenen Zeitplan voraus zu sein, hat dies einiges an Bedenken hervorgebracht. Bitte verzeiht mir meine Nervosität, wenn ich alle Dinge aufliste, die ich bisher getan habe, um mich zu beruhigen:

  • Vegetationsgedächtnis
    • Ich habe meinen M.Sc. Vegetationsgedächtnisanalysen von ausgewählten Trockengebieten auf globale Trockengebiete ausgeweitet.
    • Ich habe den Modellalgorithmus meiner Vegetationsgedächtnismodelle geändert, um eine größere Variabilität bei der Auswahl der Vegetationsgedächtnislänge zu ermöglichen.
    • Ich habe einen ersten Entwurf meiner Vegetationsgedächtnispublikation erstellt, der sich jetzt in der dritten Runde von Kommentaren meiner Mitautoren befindet.
  • WP 1 – Artenverteilungen
    • Ich habe eine umfangreiche Literaturrecherche durchgeführt, in der die Kerndatenanforderungen und -methoden ermittelt wurden, um die Artenabhängigkeit aus den Auftrittsdaten abzuleiten.
  • WP 2 – Voraussetzungen
    • Ich habe mein KrigR R-Paket in die Alpha-Phase codiert und es wird derzeit von einigen Kollegen auf Fehler getestet.
    • Durch eine Literaturrecherche habe ich fünf verschiedene Methoden identifiziert, um die Anfälligkeit von Arten für den Klimawandel zu ermitteln.
  • Lehre
    • Ich habe im Rahmen einer Seminarreihe für Studenten und Gruppenmitglieder der Ecoinformatics-Gruppe an der Universität Aarhus eine Reihe von Vorträgen über Biostatistik vorbereitet und gehalten.
    • Ich habe Übungen und Richtlinien für ein studentisches Forschungsprojekt erstellt.
    • Ich habe 18,5 Stunden zusätzliche Lehrtätigkeit (abgesehen von einem Kurs, den ich im Herbst unterrichten werde) zu absolvieren, um meine Lehrquote für dieses Jahr zu erfüllen!
  • Kommunikation
    • Nun, ich habe diese Website erstellt und halte sie auf dem neuesten Stand.
    • Leider wurden die Konferenzen, an denen ich teilnehmen sollte, abgesagt.
Erik Kusch
Erik Kusch
PhD Student

In my research, I focus on statistical approaches to understanding complex processes and patterns in biology using a variety of data banks.

Related